The Midsummer UNO is a light version of the DUO tool. It is a great platform for CIGS and CZTS solar cell research where you can use our CIGS process to start off with a world leading cell efficiency as baseline for your own R&D. We can also supply a CZTS process to match the tool.
The UNO can be used for a multitude of semiconductor applications where a sputtered material stack in an unbroken vacuum chain is required photo catalysis, thermal electric, thin film batteries, phase change memory, coating for fuel cell membranes and deposition of thin film materials on touch screens.
Because all process steps are done in the same vacuum chamber, for most applications the UNO can be placed outside the clean room or in the low clean room class areas. Having up to 13 sputtering chambers means that the tool can be shared between different research groups simultaneously.
A lot of the features and design of the DUO are also implemented on the UNO, such as:
• Automatic In- and Out-feed for 300 pieces 6” substrates
• Load lock enabling atmosphere to process pressure in <10s
• Midsummer cathode design for 230 mm planar target for high target utilization and uniformity
• Individual process pressure in each sputter chamber
• Heating and cooling stations with process temperatures up to 700°C
• Database logging all process parameters for each bar coded substrate
• Small footprint and low ceiling height requirements
• Minimum risk of contamination in the unbroken vacuum chain
• Target and shield change in less than 5 minutes vacuum to vacuum
The UNO has only one main vacuum chamber and sputtering takes place in only one process station at a time. In the DUO we are sputtering in 25 chambers simultaneously to get productivity. In the DUO the cells are processed sequentially whereas the UNO allow you to access any sputter chamber at any time.
The UNO can use both glass and stainless steel substrates and it can be equipped with in-situ measurement stations.
The UNO is a pure R&D tool and not a low cost production tool. There is no upgrade path to rebuild the UNO to a DUO, but all process settings are directly transferable from the UNO to the production tools.